Monday, February 21, 2011

The one where we lost power and I lost my mind...

The last I left you, dear readers, I was blissfully updating you on Sister K's visit. I was unaware that later that day, our power would disappear...and not return for six full days. So we enter, Wednesday:

Plumber comes to fix water heater, shoddy plumber, whom we have complained about but our home insurance people continue to send...Arrives, turns off power to the whole house because he can't seem to find the switch controlling the water heater. Finds the problem, tried to turn on the power. Can't do so...because it's old. And so we have no power.

Enter electrician. Gives an estimate of $2200 to replace the panel. Leaves. Call our home insurance. Claim denied. Yell, scream, kick...why? Because we have no inside cover. Yeah, the part that you write on...doesn't have any purpose, is not water or weather proof. Claim denied. Yell, kick, scream. Claim to get a second look...on Tuesday. Goodbye.

Enter Thursday, we decide to get a relative's brother to look at it (licensed contractor/electrician). He says $1500 and that the reason for denying the claim is not right.

Enter Friday, relative's brother comes to start fixing it. He gets the old one off but cannot connect the main power to it in the rain. Enter second opinion. Takes a look, leaves. Says it won't be covered because we got someone else working on it.

Enter Saturday. We all start losing our minds as we face days without running water. We have the fireplace going to heat the living room and we huddle in our separate beds to stay warm. Working Man gets the water heater in the RV working so we can shower in warmth. He also gets the generators running so we can have a television or two and a space heater here and there.

Enter Sunday. I lose my mind and my will to live. I beg to be anywhere but home. Go out to eat, run errands, even do laundry at a laundromat. We make a stop at home then go for a drive. We discovered hell...driving in the country then track housing. It made me feel dead inside. Maybe it was from the crazy week.

Enter today. Same as always. Except relative's brother fixes the power. The water heater is still busted...but at least we have water. Enter my mind. Not really. I think it's taken leave forever.

Here's some pictures, before I lost my mind. I'm so glad we're no longer "camping" at home.

002.jpg
This never stopped. It couldn't, if it did, we'd get dangerously close to the forties.

015.jpg
Running that thing all the time made us use probably close to a cord of wood.

004.jpg
And Friday, I spent my whole day here, in front of the fire.

014.jpg
Candles...we used a lot of those. With lanterns.

016.jpg
To keep the warmth in one place and not losing it over our big house, curtains.


Excuse me, I'm going to go flush the toilet. What? No, I don't need to...but I finally can!

FFR

No comments:

Post a Comment